Document Type : Research Article
Department of Chemical Technologies, Iranian Research Organization for Science and Technology. Tehran, Iran
Department of Chemical Technologies.Iranian Research Organization for Science and Technology.Tehran,Iran
Department of Chemistry, Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
The food industry is constantly evolving to meet the needs of consumers in the production of new, profitable, enjoyable, healthy and affordable food products. In this regard, the production of functional foods with the use of additives such as lactoferrin, which is an immuno-booster protein, has been considered. The design of electrochemical sensors for on-line determination of some of the biological components in the food matrix helps to control the quality of the products and reduce production costs. The main goal of this study is to develop an analytical device for rapid and reliable determination of lactoferrin as one of the biological species in dairy food and to evaluate the quality of food using new technology of electrochemical sensors. In this work, the electrochemical sensor of lactoferrin were prepared based on the ability of this protein to form a complex with iron ions and adsorption on the surface of the of nanostructured monolayer of captopril and was used to detect and evaluate the concentration of lactoferrin in infant formula. Changes in the surface charge transfer resistance in the impedimetric method which is caused by the absorption of lactoferrin at the sensor surface are the basis of the work of detecting and determining the amount of lactoferrin using the prepared sensor. The developed sensor is capable of detecting lactoferrin concentrations in the concentration range of 125 nM to 3.125 µM with a detection limit of 50 nM and were successfully used to determine the amount of lactoferrin in milk powder matrix.
• The establishment of molecular nanostructured monolayers for use in electrochemical analytic devices has been investigated in order to use in the quality control of high-yield food products.
• The electrochemical analytic sensor is developed to quickly and reliably determine lactoferrin as one of the valuable proteins found in dairy foods.
• Changes in charge transfer resistance in the impedimetric method caused by the adsorption of lactoferrin on the surface, has been used as the principal for lactoferrin determination.
• The prepared sensor is able to detect the concentration of lactoferrin in the concentration range of 125 nm to 3.125μm with a detection limit of 50 nm.
• The sensor was successfully tested to determine the amount of lactoferrin in the real matrix sample of powdered milk.